Sunday, November 6, 2016

5 Questions: Kyle Lettman



When listening to Kyle Lettman's music, expect an eclectic soundscape. Along with being known for his smooth and charismatic vocals as well as an appreciation of different music genres (such as reggae and garage), the UK R&B singer is a dancer and noted songwriter with credits for huge acts such as Ne-Yo, Frank Ocean, Nicole Scherzinger, Kele Le Roc, Varren Wade and more. Strictly Rhythm & Blues spoke with the British-born Jamaican singer on the inspiration behind his music, his career path (Kyle is a former member of the UK, R&B group Fundamental) and the UK R&B scene.

1) What inspires your music?
My inspiration mostly comes from personal experience, whether that be from just settling into a relationship or heartbreak. I also take insights from TV, taking what I see and weaving it into my music.

2) You've tasted success as a member of a group and as a solo artist. What's the difference for you?
I got used to having my brothers on stage with me. So as soon as they weren’t there, I could definitely feel a difference. So going solo can be lonely at times [laughs].

3) What's the R&B scene like in London?
It certainly exists, but it’s pretty quiet and very much an acquired taste at the moment. I guess all it needs is a champion to bring back to life, so cue Kyle Lettman [laughs].

4) Considering how tough the music industry is in general, what does it take for one to excel?
I'd say a hard working mentality, thick skin and a combination of different skills. Honestly speaking though, I think luck helps a lot. Being at the right place at the right time to meet the right person. There are a lot of different ways to get exposure as an artist but personally, I feel it’s all about your niche and capitalizing on it. 

5) What do you want listeners to get from listening to (recent EP) "When it Rains"?
I really value my listeners' opinions, so I’d rather like them to tell me what they got from it!

Follow Kyle on Twitter

Soundcloud: Kyle Lettman

No comments:

Post a Comment