Friday, December 11, 2015

Friday Night Throwback: Joe Tex - "I Gotcha"



Former country singer turned R&B artist Joe Tex recorded his hit single, the ridiculously funky "I Gotcha" in the late 1960's, but didn't release it until 1971 because he was unsatisfied with the initial recording. The single, which was originally intended to be recorded by New Orleans singer King Floyd, was the first single off Tex's 1972 album also titled I Gotcha. An angry song that dealt with the touchy subject matter of infidelity in Tex's own absolutely inimitable style, "I Gotcha" would result in Tex having his first major hit in five years. As "I Gotcha" eventually peaked at number one on the R&B chart, number two on the Pop chart for two weeks and would sell around three million copies.

No comments:

Post a Comment